[All] UKFN bulletin, w/e 22/6/18

UK Fluids Network info at fluids.ac.uk
Fri Jun 22 18:16:11 BST 2018

UKFN WEEKLY ROUND-UP 22/6/18

If you would like to circulate a brief message to the UKFN mailing list
ahead of the monthly newsletter, you can send it to info at fluids.ac.uk by
Friday noon and it will be circulated in the weekly round-up later that
day. All messages that are still time-relevant will be repeated in the
monthly newsletter.

A. UKFN MESSAGES

FROM: Nick Daish, 22/6/18
SUBJECT: UKFN and GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)

_REMINDER:__ Everyone registered with UKFN was sent an email requesting
their consent to share their personal data, which are displayed on the
Directory and SIG pages of the website._

_Thank you if you clicked on the personalized link in the email._

_If you didn't click, but wish to stay visible on the UKFN website, you
can still use the link to give your consent to display your data, or if
you prefer email info at fluids.ac.uk with your consent._

B. MEMBER MESSAGES

JOBS:

FROM: Paul Linden, University of Cambridge, 20/6/18
SUBJECT: PDRA, Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge

Title: 'High resolution vehicle emissions modelling'
Details:
https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/BKL474/research-associate-in-high-resolution-vehicle-emissions-modelling

Deadline: 20 July 2018

HELP WANTED:

FROM: David Hann, Faculty of Engineering, University of Nottingham,
19/6/18
SUBJECT: Help with dyes

'We are looking for some fluorescent dyes that can dissolve in several
different types of oils. With all the members here it is possible
someone out there has solved this problem already. If you have
experience of this and can help please contact me at
David.Hann at nottingham.ac.uk

The specifications are as follows.

 	* The fluorescent dye needs to fully dissolve in the working liquids
(ideally without the use of solvents). Our working liquids will be
AeroShell Turbine Oil 390, Eastman 2197 oil and silicon oil.
 	* The dye's maximum absorption wavelength should be close to the
working wavelength of the lasers that we have available (532nm and
450nm, with preference to the 532nm laser).
 	* The dye should be thermally stable (i.e. its fluorescence should be
independent of temperature - worst scenario possible consists on
temperatures ranging from 30-130°C ).
 	* The intensity of light recorded upon excitation of the dye needs to
be proportional (ideally linearly) to the range of film thicknesses that
are to be measured (around 0-4mm).

If point (3) is not fulfilled, there might be a way to compensate for
the dependence of fluorescence with temperature.'