[All] UKFN bulletin, w/e 6/6/19

UK Fluids Network info at fluids.ac.uk
Thu Jun 6 12:52:00 BST 2019

UKFN WEEKLY ROUND-UP 6/6/19

If you would like to circulate a brief message to the UKFN mailing list,
you can send it to info at fluids.ac.uk by Thursday noon.

A. UKFN MESSAGES

FROM: Nick Daish, 6/6/19
SUBJECT: PLEASE READ - Personal email addresses on the mailing list

Over the past 6 months there have been more than 4000 new subscriptions
to the UKFN mailing list. Unfortunately most of these have been spam
rather than genuine subscriptions, and I would like to remove as many of
these as possible.

The spam entries are almost all personal addresses from gmail, yahoo,
aol, etc. I appreciate that some people do use a personal address for
the mailing list instead of/as well as their work address, and of course
these should remain on the list. Therefore, if you fall into this
category, please send an email to info at fluids.ac.uk from the relevant
address with the subject 'ADDRESS OK' by 27 June 2019.

I will wait until after this date before unsubscribing any list members.

Thank you for your help.

FROM: Nick Daish, 6/6/19
SUBJECT: UK Fluids Network Thesis Prize

Many congratulations to our winner and two runners-up.

WINNER

 	* Adrien Lefauve (Cambridge) 'Waves and turbulence in sustained
stratified shear flows'

RUNNERS-UP

 	* Paweł Baj (Imperial) 'Experimental investigation of wake development
and mixing behind a multi-scale array of bars'
 	* Matthew Arran (Cambridge) 'Avalanching on dunes and its effects:
Size statistics, stratification, & seismic surveys'

The winner will receive a prize of £500, and all three have been invited
to present their work at this year's UK Fluids Conference (Cambridge,
27-29 August, http://ukfluids2019.bpi.cam.ac.uk/).

B. MEMBER MESSAGES

EVENTS:

FROM: Hassan Hemida, University of Birmingham, 30/5/19
SUBJECT: 9th International Colloquium on Bluff Body Aerodynamics and
Applications (BBAA-IX)